Scaling-up Distributed Renewable Energy Investments
Day: 13th September, 2017
Time: 12:00 – 13:30
Since 2006, annual renewable energy investment has increased substantially, but growth has slowed and total investment is not at the scale necessary to meet SDGs and global climate objectives. Even the power sector, which accounts for the majority of investment, requires significant scaling-up efforts. In 2016 investment in small-scale renewable power projects of less than 1MW, predominantly solar PV, amounted to USD 39.8 billion (down 28% from 2015 investment levels). This was the lowest level since the start of the decade, partly due to massive price decreases in solar technology. Investments in heating, cooling and transport require even further efforts given the lack of investment to date. Where should this investment come from? Since the resources of the public sector are limited, the private sector is expected to provide the lion’s share with the public sector playing a catalyzing role.
Questions to be addressed by the session:
- How can project developers balance investment security for investors with affordability to end users?
- What measures can be taken and/or have proven successful to increase the availability of long-term affordable enterprise finance?
- Can PAYG models and technologies enable the expansion of energy access to groups that previously could not be reached? What are related challenges? And what other approaches come to mind to address gaps in end-user finance?
- What action must governments take to free up the potential of crowdfunding for decentralised energy systems?
The keynote speaker gives a 15 min overview of the thematic context of this session. In the remaining time, the panelist’s respond to the questions posed by the moderator as well as discussion points from the audience.
Keynote: Mrs. Tania Rödiger-Vorwerk, Deputy Director-General, BMZ, Hyperlink to bio
Moderator: Mrs. Dolores Barrientos, Representative, UNEP Hyperlink to bio
- Mr. Daniel Chacón, Oficial del programa para la descarbonización del sector energía, ICM Hyperlink to bio
- Mr. Faris Hasan, Director Corporate Planning and Economic Services, OFID Hyperlink to bio
- Mr. Sergio Figueroa, Director, Project Finance Bonds, Credit Agricole Hyperlink to bio
Other Panelists TBC